Ok, so what about PMS and Paleo? This post is geared a little more towards the female population, but I can't be the only woman out there following a Paleo diet that has questions about menstrual cycles. I’m specifically interested in the cravings that materialize before and during that wonderful present women get once a month.
I love chocolate. Like, I LOOOOOOVE chocolate. And when I’m PMSing, I function better on chocolate bars. Hubby knows. When Wifey gets cranky, give her a Snickers Bar. If ONLY they grew on trees and I could forage for them in Golden Gate Park. If only.
But seeing as how they don’t, and I can’t (shaking fist), here are some Paleo options to subdue those seemingly inevitable cravings:
- Paleo Chocolate Balls. Oh. My. God. I got this recipe from the book "Cooking For Health & Performance" by Scott Hagnas, with Robb Wolf and Nicki Violetti. Although it is Paleo, it does contain agave nectar and because Hubby and I set strict standards for our Paleo Challenge, it is not allowed. So I can't wait until next month!
- Dark chocolate, 85% or greater. It's ok to have a little treat, and although it's not necessarily Paleo, the higher percentage of cacao means much less sugar. Just don't let it kick you off the wagon.
- Blackberries (or other berry) mixed with honey. Pure honey is Paleo (yet again not part of our challenge... damn it), and this makes a nice little treat to help stifle those cravings.
- Bacon-wrapped dates. The sweetness of dates combined with the savory taste of bacon. Yes, please.
- Homemade coconut milk ice cream. Yummy and simple: 1 can coconut milk, 2 C fresh fruit (whatever toots your flute), 1 tsp vanilla (optional). Mix together and put in the freezer for an hour or until desired consistency.
- Coconut flakes, unsweetened. It sounds too simple to effectively satisfy those cravings, but they are so yummy! When I found myself craving sweets tonight, and I couldn't have my usual Paleo treats because they contain natural sweeteners (which are not allowed in our challenge) this did the trick!
These are the PMS snacks I typically enjoy while following my less strict Paleo diet. Next month I'm going to try to create a Paleo Snickers Bar. I'm convinced it will work. We shall see.
- Wifey (obviously)